Saturday, July 26, 2008

Started me thinking

I have not written a blog in several days now, but after reading my sisters current blog, it started me thinking. How fortunate I am that all of our children stay in very good contact with us. I don't know what I would do if they were "lost from home". For several years after Barb was married and moved out of the house in Lubbock, we lost contact for several years. I was just at that age where running around with friends meant more than family time together. There was a time when one particular friend and I would join my parents and their friends in playing card games on a Saturday night, that was great fun. Then I got married and my then wife didn't get along with any of my family, especially Barb. After we moved to Wichita, I didn't have any real contact with Barb until I got divorced and started taking the kids to visit mom in Lubbock, after my dad had passed away, at least once a year. I wish I could have been closer and visited more often, but I wasn't and couldn't. Then my sister and her husband and I moved mother to Tulsa and I became reacquainted with my sister. I don't know what I would do now without talking to her at least once daily, sometimes more. I have been collecting pictures and information on my family history and have realized how much I miss them all. I have wished in my later years, I would have sat down with my father and taped his remembrances of his childhood. Well, low and behold, my cousin in Amarillo sent me a CD that was taped in 1964, during my roaming age, of my father and his living family sitting around just talking. Oh how I wish, now, I would have been there for they could sit and talk about old times for hours. When I had to around them I thought those stories were so stupid. Now in retrospect, I see how important they all were. Let us all never forget how important family is and never loose touch with each other. God bless you all.

2 comments:

Barbara's blog said...

I don't know what I'd do without you either.
I love you.
Barb

Brede Family said...

So you don't mind that I call you daily to make sure you are ok. Boy how the tables have changed. Some of my best memories growing up were playing games with you and mom. I like hearing all of your old stories even if you are "making them better!"