Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Because She Said So

I am writing this blog because she said so!!! That is my sister that said so and I have always done wheat my sister said. We visited our son and his family over the weekend and this phrase came up several times. it always will when there are kids involved. I can remember asking "why" to many things my mother told me to do and the answer was always, because I said so. I believe that was all I needed to go ahead and follow orders, but anymore there are more way's and said so's than there were when I was a child. Why, you ask? Because if my mother said so and I didn't, then the next thing was "wait till your father gets home". I hated that reasoning, so I just did what I was told, or at least that is my story. I am sure my sister would disagree with me.

All in all though, we are blessed with a group of very good grand kids. I have seen, in my years of retail and police work, how kids can act up and how there is no respect of authority. Why is that? Well here is my opinion, parents are too busy and preoccupied with all that is going on to just one simple thing. That is, just be consistent. By this I mean if you tell your kids to do something don't let them get by with continuing to do whatever it is you have told them not to do. So, see this is the problem. In my childhood, I knew if I didn't follow orders I would get a spanking and I, in most cases, did not want that. Oh, I was not a perfect kid by any stretch, but I learned a respect for others property and what it meant to mind with out more than one because I said so.

Have a good weekend to all.

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

I'm not so sure you always obeyed but I do know you didn't want Daddy to get hold of you! You were a good brother--except when you got into my candy! You got yours, though, because you almost choked on the Lifesavers. Didn't stop you, did it? You went right back and got some more.