Wednesday, October 1, 2008

At Their Mercy

It has come to me in resent years that we, as humans, are at the mercy of all most everyone and everything we want to do. For a current example, this banking mess and the bail out to go along with it. We, the common folk, have really no choice but to be at the mercy of Washington politics. I don't know how we can trust them to do the correct thing, because wasn't it them that got us into this mess in the first place. Of course the Democrats are blaming the Republicans and vise-a verse. How do we know what really went on and how do we trust politicians to get us out of this? Oh, I firmly believe something has to be done and quickly, but just what I don't know and I am not sure anyone knows for sure. It seems to be just guess work, hopefully it will be the correct guess.

Another example I have come across of just lately, is my cell phone company. When I changed carriers, I didn't get to pick out a phone I was just given one that the salesman said was a good phone and he had had good luck with it. Being at his mercy, I believed him. Now some 10 months later I realize it is not the phone that I want at all. Was I offered a choice or told of different features at the time, no I wasn't. Now, I admit, that I told him I wanted a FREE phone and so that is what I got. A free phone with no features I want now. Now I am the mercy of the cell phone company because I can't change my plan until October 2009. Oh, I could just bite the bullet and pay $200 for a phone like I want, but the fact is this, if my salesman in the first place had been a true salesman he would have pointed out other phones with more features for an additional price. I might add, much less money then $200.

So what are we to do to keep us out of being just at the mercy. Well in the case of anything political, the only thing we can do is vote. Again though we are at the mercy of the people running for president and we know they all will say whatever they think we want to hear. Besides, when whoever gets into office then they have to depend on Congress passing legislation that the president wants. Yea right!!!

In everything else in life, we must take out time to study all the ins and outs of what ever we are doing. I think I can do this in my life, but I have to get want out of the picture and that is hard for me to do. In most cases lately, the decisions I have made are working out just fine. Now if my choice for president works out, I will be happy. So, everyone take head at my words and remember to not let yourself be at the mercy, as much as you can. Keep the faith and trust in God, but remember God will let you make mistakes so you can learn from them. Boy has he let me learn a lot in 65 years. Now if I could just remember what I have learned when I need it.

No comments: