Thursday, October 16, 2008

Winter

Winter is coming, and I for one am not happy about it. I don't like winter and haven't since I had to work in it at the Chevy dealership in Lubbock. As a kid, of course, I loved the snow and sledding and building snowmen. But, as I got older and went to work, my first job as I said was at the Chevy dealership. My primary job was getting new cars ready for delivery and my secondary job was checking them in when they came in on transports. Normally this was not a bad thing, but invariably the colder, wetter, icier and snowier it was, that is when at least multiple transports would show up. the factory only put enough fuel in the cars and trucks to get them to the dealer in the summer, not the winter. Between the railroad and transport companies, most of the cars/trucks would be out of gas or worse the battery would be dead, or both. I would have to climb around on this big truck full of cars putting a gallon of gas in them and/or replacing the batteries. This is when I learned to hate Winter.

Another thing about winter is that I hate putting on heavy coats and then driving. I have an old faded jacket that I have worn for the last several years, that is very light weight, but I use it anyway. I figure I can take the cold long enough for the heater to get warm and then again getting in wherever I am going.

The coldest I ever got was when I had on jeans, long sleeve shirt and insulated coveralls. heavy gloves and a helmet. I should mention I was ridding my motorcycle and the temperature was in the 20's. But then, the motorcycle ownership is a whole other blog.

Now that we are retired, we have decided that if it is icy or snowy, we stay in the house where it is warm. I know that there will be those times when we will have to get in the cold, but that is OK, I can handle it in my own way, as I said.

Another thing about Winter, the driving conditions. If everyone would just stay home if at all possible there would be a lot less accidents. It is my belief, most people have no clue how to drive on icy or snowy streets anyway.

From what I have heard, this year is to be colder but drier than normal. That is a good thing, unless the predictions are are all wet. Pun intended!!!

Hopefully everyone has a safe and uneventful Winter.

No comments: