Friday, July 17, 2009

Blessed

I am really blessed by so many things that I just have to say thank you to God for making it all possible. People always wonder, "how things might have been if"........ It is my belief that if only one small thing had been changed in your life, you would not be who or where you are today. It's kind of like building a wall, if it is off by an eighth of an inch on one end, it may be off by several inches on the other depending of course on how long the wall is in the first place. So it is with life!!! Change just one little thing in your life when you were 18 and by the time you are 20 years older it could have become a very big thing. Think of all the people in trouble with the law, if they had made just one right decision, they may have avoided a life of trouble.

As an example I will give you my story of how my life could have been very different.

When I was 21 I met my first wife on a blind date. That is nothing strange, as a lot of people meet via the blind date, but in my case, I didn't date all that much and in fact the person that set the date up was not even one of my good friends, so much so that I don't even know his name now. He worked at a BBQ shack and I just happened to be in there one day and he was talking to his girlfriend on the phone and she was telling him that she knew a girl that wanted to meet someone and he turned to me and asked me if I wanted to date this girl. For some reason, I accepted the date. The first small thing that would have changed my life had I not accepted.

We dated only about 3 months when I asked her to marry me and she accepted. Thing #2

On the night of our wedding, just before it in fact, she wanted to back out and I talked her into going ahead with the marriage. Thing #3

We were married about a year and a half when my aunt suggested I come to Wichita with her and get a job at Boeing. Which I did. Thing #4

By the time of the move, we had had a son and she had brought a daughter to our marriage in the beginning. While living in Wichita we also had a daughter.

In 1975 while working for Sears, I accepted a job in the Sears store in Salina. Thing #5.

In 1980 we were divorced. Thing #6

My future wife had also been divorced and was working at the Sears store. Thing #7

I had asked her two times for a date and she had turned me down, saying she was not ready to date. I decided to ask her one more time and if turned down would not ask again, but she accepted. Thing #8

We dated for 2 years and 3 months before getting married. She also brought a daughter to the marriage. If we had not married, Thing #9.

So, in my life there have been at least 9 times when any one of those things I have mentioned were changed, then all the rest to follow would have not occurred and I would not have the worlds best wife, the worlds best 4 children and the most wonderful 13 grandchildren. Not to mention all the great in-laws that I now have.

There have been other things that have occurred that could have drastically changed my life, had it not for been the intervention of God and doctors.

So who knows where I would have been today, had I not accepted a blind date solely on a whim.

I believe it to be a master plan that only God has, and I am so thankful.

1 comment:

DeAnn's Insights said...

Wow!!! You have been doing some serious thinking! You are right though--God has a master plan. One indecision or different decision changes the course of our life. God is still in control, but our free will sometimes knocks things off balance. I too am glad of the decisons you made, even those that caused pain. Without that pain we may not have met and you and Estella would not have been placed in my path. Thanks for the insight and the great friendship! DeAnn :0)