Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Listening

Let's examine listening...

We have so many things to listen too, I'm talking not just about sounds. Of course the most important thing I have to listen to is my wife, believe me I have had times when I didn't do a very good job. In fact she would probably tell you there were times when I didn't listen at all. I try, but at times I just can't understand what she is saying or where she is coming from. Next, we have to listen to our bodies/bones, our heads, our hearts, and my stomach. You notice I didn't include everyone in the last one. I don't have trouble listening to my body as it creeks and pops and pains all the time. My head is a different story and I get it mixed up with my stomach all the time. If you know me, you know this is true and my head is winning. Another thing my head tells me is that I want this or that when in fact I really don't need it, I just want it. Too many times my wants edge out the needs, but I am getting better at this one than I used to be, but I still have to be careful.

There are times I wish I had listened to my head instead of my heart and visa-versa. Like the time I got married the first time. I don't know what I was feeling or thinking, but maybe I should have thought it through a little more. I really think God had a part in that first marriage, He knew it was wrong but He also knew there were three kids that needed a dad. If I had actually listened to my heart, I would not have those three kids today and things would have not worked out so that I would end up with my wife of today and another child that needed a dad. By the time I met and married my wife I finally knew what I supposed to feel and listened to my heart. Thank you Lord!!!

What I need to learn is the difference of what my head tells me and what my stomach needs, how do I know for sure. I have never been one that could tell the difference unless I was so stuffed that I was uncomfortable. Believe me, I have been uncomfortable many times. Well, I guess I will just have to try to work this out in my head some way or continue on the path that is unhealthy. Good grief, I have trouble even writing about it. No wonder I can't listen!!!

I am sure you may come up with many more things to listen to, but these are my important ones, you pick yours.

1 comment:

DeAnn's Insights said...

Jim, "head hunger" is the hardest thing to get past. I used to eat emotionally. If I were sad, happy, bored, etc. was reason enough to eat. A test that works for me is if I think I want something because I think I need it, I will drink some water and wait 10 minutes. If I still think I need it then I will take a small sample of it and wait 10 minutes. Usually the water will curb the want if it isn't a need (actually being hungry). The wait will allow my body to tell my mind what it really needs. Then by eating a SMALL sample of the food if it really is a need will curb that need and the 10 munite wait tells my body if I need more. Try it and you might find some progress on your "listening" skills.