Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In The Begining

I have taken on a project, that of creating a scrapbook of my family ancestry. I have only been sort of working on this idea for about 4 or 5 years. I have used the internet, contacted family and relatives for information. Finally after a long time of collecting and being sick, I have started the scrapbook. As I go through all the pictures and stories it is amazing how close your family seems to become. My hope is that some day my children will look at the work I have put in and start to wonder if there is more to discover and maybe one of them will carry it further than I have been able to do.

When I started, I remembered when my father was trying to work on finding family information, I don't know how many trips he and my mother took to go to just look through library articles, newspapers, legal documents and other palaces searching for information. I do remember, he was unable to find anything further back than his father. He knew his grand father was married twice but did not know his name or the wives, so his search stopped with his father, at least that is the way I remember it.

At the time all I could think about was girls and cars and I remember thinking why does anyone want to know about dead people.

Now that I have gotten into this I hope my dad is proud that I am carrying on his work. If my father would have had the convenience of the Internet, how excited he would have been. As I got started, I realized that my cousin in Amarillo had sent me information with the name and two pictures of my great grand father. I took the opportunity and googled his name and low and behold up came, not only my great grandfather but my great great grandfather and all the wives my dad could never find.

Well, at this time I have five pages finished on the book and look forward each day to doing more. I highly recommend to anyone that thinks they don't want to undertake a project like this to just go ahead and start, you will get hooked meeting your ancestors for the first time.

This idea started form a good friend of mine who is really deep into genealogy. In her search, she discovered that her husband had several step siblings he did not even know existed. Wow, what a discovery for them.

I don't think I will ever have a discovery as unusual as theirs, but the ones I have had are just as amazing to me.

Try it you will be surprised.

No comments: